Just another perspective...

Friday, April 22, 2005

Getting a little perspective...

(¨`·.·´¨)
`·. ¸ .JESUS


Sometimes we're so close to the painting that we can't see what it's supposed to be. We can't see the beauty that is taking form. We don't realize that each day a new set of dots is being added. Perhaps a few new strokes are placed on our canvas. Of course, often they seem completely randomly placed to us. But what we need to remember is that the painting isn't for our enjoyment. Like I mentioned before, our only job here is to make Him famous--to bring Him pleasure. It's not about us.

We have to ask for perspective. Sometimes a walk in the park will help. I found a "secret" cove in my apartment building. On the 9th floor of our building in the stairwell there is a huge picture window that over looks the city. I can see the parks, the Cathedral, and the sunset every night at 8:15pm. I didn't find my Perspective Point until Easter Break...but once I did I was hooked.

As I sit there and look at everything, I can't help but see a reflection of Him. I see his amazing power and interest in the details. I love to watch his creation. It reminds me of him. Check his out:

Romans 1:20
"From the time the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky and all that God made. They can clearly see his invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse whatsoever for not knowing God."

When I first moved here it was tough. God was challenging me, mentally, physically, emotionally, relationally, but most of all spiritually. I discovered that everyday was a choice. Before too long I found that I needed to keep the communication lines with God completely open to grow here (and really anywhere...). When I'd conciously do this, I'd find myself more aware of him in the little things.

It's like it says in Matthew 5:8, "You're blessed when you get your inside world--your mind and heart--put right. Then you can see God in the outside world." When I manage to focus on him, everything would fall into perspective.

Maybe it's like one of those paintings that you can't see what it is if you look directly at it. It's the kind that you have to look past it to see it take shape.

Before too long I found myself walking through the parks on my way to class singing. I love to sing, but this was almost subconsious. It wasn't me singing, it was my heart talking to God. Over and over I'd hear my voice sing, "Oh Lord, You're beautiful. Your face is all I see..." Now, I'm not trying to, in any way, suggest that I have mastered this feat or somehow managed to obtain his perspective. But what I can say is that if your heart is searching for him, he'll meet you. You may not see the entire painting at once, but you might get a glimpse from his view.

It's an amazing feeling when life starts to make sense. When you see the little things he has been doing all adding up to something bigger. When we are able to, even if just for a second, see the canvas from his perspective.

I have to remind myself that this, the world, "my" life, THE plan, it's not about me. Think of it this way:

"History is HIS story....but here's the thing. I've got a story, and you've got a story. We've all got a story. And we come into this world wanting to be the star of that story. But the truth is history...is really the story of God. And because it's the story of GOD, he's the main character, and everyone else plays a secondary role....When God had everything worked out so it all reflected on him (in the garden of Eden), 2 things were happening. God was getting maximum glory, and people were getting maximum happiness...Isn't it true when we daydream about the future we're the center. But in the end, God reminds us that it's not about me. It's a threatening truth, but it's also a comforting truth because...when we get out of the center and get our lives properly alligned as to do our best as to reflect God's glory, we're happier. Beacause that's what we were designed to do. And it's a threatening truth but if you get over the threatening part and begin to embrace it, it's a comforting truth. Because when I decide it's all about God and not about me, I can relax, and I can quit trying to be the center. And I can let him be the center. Because he IS the center."
--722.org History Part 4: The Way of Glory

I was just listening to that service, and as God has really been using 722 to confirm what he's speaking to me. With the whole reflection/mirrors thing and all, but now he just took it to another level. I was talking with Erin yesterday and he gave me the "perspective" bit to the painting analogy, which I just wrote in this entry. Erin and I were pretty stoked about how God was developing this "picture" for us to learn through. But I just completely lost my socks. I was typing and all of the sudden I hear the speaker say this:

"If we really see God for who he is, we'd be content to reflect him because that in itself is a pretty lofty goal....For that to become a driving force in our lives, we need something that most of us lack--and that is a new perspective."

Wow. I can't top that.
Selah,
Nanette


"Let's turn the worship up and the music down."
--722.org History Part 4: The Way of Glory


(¨`·.·´¨)
`·.¸.Jesus See through the dots...see Him.

3 Comments:

  • At April 23, 2005 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, I haven't read this yet...but I'm sure it will rock my socks.
    :) Amazing. Wow. <- Words that will come out of my mouth when reading your post. I'll let you know what I really think AFTER I read it too, promise! :)
    Love ya!

     
  • At April 24, 2005 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah,
    So this is totally everything we've been talking about. I'm also learning that healing will only take place in the presence of the Healer. I'm still waiting for it all to make sense, but I'm sure He will be faithful. It just takes time.
    Thanks for everything, and can't wait to see you!
    Love you!
    Erin

     
  • At May 15, 2005 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    just trying to post to see if it works...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home