Just another perspective...

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Tag---I'm it!

So, I've been tagged by Gretchen with these fun questions. Enjoy!

1. Number of Books I Own
Wow, this isn't really a fair question because I am in England and have NO WAY to count. Uhhhh....45?

2. Last Book(s) I Bought
Ok, well I *technically* bought a couple at the same time.

Grace in the First Person: Growing into Life and Faith -- by Lee Pearson Knapp

Girl Time: A Celebration of Chick Flicks, Bad Hair Days & and Good Friends -- by Laura Jensen Walker

3. Last Book I Read

Do You Think I'm Beautiful? by Angela Thomas
My campus ministers got this for me when I "graduated" from CSF. I'm still finishing it, but it's a great book in that it reminds us of how HE sees us.

3.5 Books I am Currently Reading
Ok, so I am adding this category because I am reading a million books right now, and this questionnaire doesn't leave room for me to put them anywhere! :) I'll just list a few of the good ones...

Genocide in International Law : The Crimes of Crimes by William A. Schabas

Just War or Just Peace?: Humanitarian Intervention and International Law (Oxford Monographs in International Law) by Simon Chesterman

Human Rights : Universality in Practice by Peter R. Baehr

From Kosovo to Kabul: Human Rights and International Intervention by David Chandler

International Human Rights Law: A Practical Approach by Javaid Rehman

The Evolution of International Human Rights: Visions Seen (Pennsylvania Studies in Human Rights) by Paul Gordon Lauren

Law Against Genocide: Cosmopolitan Trials (Criminology S.)
by David Hirsh

International Law
by Malcolm N. Shaw

I am generally non-political on here, but what can I say? It had to come out sometime. I really enjoy reading about issues of International Human Rights. Maybe "enjoy" isn't the right word. It motivates me. I get infuriated. I was watching Hotel Rwanda [DVD ~ Don Cheadle (2005)] the other day, and after 30 minutes, I had to shut it off. The whole world turned a blind eye to the 100 day genocide and now that a movie is out--putting a face on all of the death-- people just NOW are caring? It makes me sick. *sigh* At least picked the right profession, eh? I was talking to my sister the other day about this dilemna. I know it isn't going to be an easy job to have. Honestly, I hope I have the emotional fortitude for it. But then she said, "Yeah, but you're going to be in a place to make a difference in a very real way. You will be doing something that really matters, and no matter how hard it is, you just need to remember that." *sigh* She's right. So, if I get a little fired up, please forgive me... [end personal info]

4. 5 Books That Mean Alot To Me
This is a question I am embarassed to answer. I can't really put my finger on 5 specific books that encapsulate what I've been learning. But I'll do my best.

First of all, by far--the Gospel of Matthew.

1 Corinthians

Fresh Brewed Life A Stirring Invitation To Wake Up Your Soul by Nicole Johnson
Audrey got this for me a couple years ago, but I love it! I keep reading and re-reading it. As a coffee-lover [note: not addict], I love her metaphors of how a life with God should be awakening our souls.

When God Writes Your Love Story : The Ultimate Approach to Guy/Girl Relationships by Eric Ludy, Leslie Ludy

When Dreams Come True : A Love Story Only God Could Write by Eric Ludy, Leslie Ludy

5. Books I Want To Read

Keeping a Princess Heart : In a Not So Fairy Tale World by Nicole Johnson

I Am Not But I Know I AM: Welcome to the Story of God by Louie Giglio

The Air I Breathe: Worship As a Way of Life by Louie Giglio

Authentic Beauty : the shaping of a set-apart young woman by Leslie Ludy

When God Writes Your Life Story : Experience the Ultimate Adventure by Eric Ludy

The Coffeehouse Gospel: Sharing Your Faith In Everyday Conversation -- by Matthew Paul Turner

Captivating : Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul by John Eldredge, Stasi Eldredge

Tag 5 People You Know To Share Their Book Lists On Their Blog
Let's see...not sure I know 5 people with blogs that read this, haven't already done it, and aren't away from computers for ages, but I know Leann and Lindsey are keeping up with their blogs. Anyone else that reads, feel free to jump in! :)

Have a great day!
Nanette

3 Comments:

  • At May 29, 2005 1:49 PM, Blogger Gretchen Magruder said…

    wow!! very impressive....I guess I should've known that if I tagged you, you'd show me up with all of your political/smart-sounding books....bravo!

    I guess I hadn't heard of those books by Louie...I'll have to add those to my list of "to read"....

     
  • At May 29, 2005 1:58 PM, Blogger Nanette said…

    ...actually I almost didn't post this entry because when I looked back at it, I thought that my books weren't "spiritual" enough. *sigh* Oh well...

     
  • At June 13, 2005 8:20 AM, Blogger Jonathan said…

    All those human rights books and you're living in England??? If I ever line up a CSF project for Gretchen you can see some of that first hand. Could be a great way to line up some first-hand graduate research.

    Oh, and having been 1/2 of the blog that tagged Gretchen to begin with, don't feel "unspiritual" because of your list. By their nature, no books and at the same time all books are spiritual.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home