Just another perspective...

Saturday, May 21, 2005

This clock never seemed so alive...

It's all about making time. Making time. The phrase in itself seems impossible. Who am I to "make" time? I can't even handle using my time correctly, let alone create time.

Have you ever found yourself talking about something, a certain subject, continuously? It's just one of those issues that no matter who you are hanging out with or their level of interest you cannot avoid. It's something that you can't help but think about. It's consuming. It's something that you don't have to make time for...you just do, because it's that important. And the time you make isn't enough.

I have a TAWG candle. I know that it's not the quantity of time that I spend hanging out with God, but the quality of that time, but I find the visual reminder very helpful. Some people say that they make actual appointments in their planners to spend time with God. But me, I use the candle. Whenever I'm hanging out with God, I burn it. I set it in front of me, so that when my mind starts to wander or I my eyes begin to stray around the room, I see the candle. It reminds me of my focus.

I have other candles, too. I have some "relaxation" candles that I use when I study. I also have "company" candles that I burn only when people come over.

Again, it's not the quantity of time I spend burning the candles. And I'm sure that they are not all the same quality or even have equivalent burning times, but the principle surfaced about a week ago.

I am a visual person. I need to SEE. I like visual reminders of things. That's why my walls are plastered with cards, notes, and pictures of friends and family...loved ones. Lately I've been intrigued by the status of each of my candles. At times they are almost equal, but other times, it's not even close. It's like a visual of what's currently most important to me. Sometimes when I see the TAWG candle, I'm slapped in the face. It reminds me of its purpose...and how often its been neglected.

It's all about making time. But, if my relationship with God is something that I'm truly and uncontrolably passionate about, then I should use every spare minute thinking about Him and focusing on what's important. I want to get lost in Him. I want to lose track of time and space. I want to focus on Him and forget about my concerns. I want to get caught up in Him and our relationship until nothing else matters.


what day is it?
and in what month?
this clock never seemed so alive
i cant keep up
and i cant back down
ive been losing so much time

cuz its you and me
and all of the people
with nothing to do
and nothing to lose
and its you and me
and all of the people
and i dont know why
i cant keep my eyes off of you

all of the things
that i want to say
just arent coming out right
im tripping inwards
youve got my head spinning
i dont know where to go from here

cuz its you and me
and all of the people
with nothing to do
and nothing to prove
its you and me
and all of the people
and i dont know why
i cant keep my eyes off of you

theres something about you now
i cant quite figure out
everything you do is beautiful
everything you do is so right

cuz its you and me
and all of the people
with nothing to do
nothing to lose
its you and me
and all of the people
and i dont know why
i can't keep my eyes off of
you and me...

what day is it?
and in what month?
this clock never seemed so alive...

(lyrics from 722.org "Unthinkable Invitation")

Selah,
Nanette

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home