Just another perspective...

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Mirror, Mirror on the wall..

...who's the fairest of them all?

As my dissertation comes to a close (thankfully), I am constantly reminded of just how important definitions are. International institutions, as well as local ones, are governed by their charters--or the equivalent. Those ruling documents are the result of much debate and compromise. The words have been carefully chosen and have been selected deliberately.

Although the documents may appear simple in text form, the interpretation and application process often reveals the true complexity each word contains. Who knew there were multiple meanings of the word "chicken" [reference to Frigailment]?

Did you know that it is the very definition of the word "genocide" that has permitted the continued cycle of reoccuring genocides around the world? Did you know that if we could adequately come up with a sufficient definition for precisely what the international crime of genocide is, then states would no longer be able to avade their responsbilities under the Convention for the Prevention and the Punishment of the Crime of Genocide?

A definition. One word.

Seems simple enough, eh?

But who defines it? Who gets that power? That's what it all comes down to; the drafters have significantly less power than those interpreting what the drafters "intended". The power held by the "big wigs" of today's international community far outweighs the power of the post-World War II founders of the United Nations.

Scary, huh? Flawed humans will determine who deserves protection. Imperfect people with personal views and political intuition will decide who to afford the protection originally desired by creators of the convention, but because of the ambiguity of the word "genocide", someone completely unrelated to the drafting and negotiation process will decide instead.

Who's the fairest of them all?

While I could talk about this issue and propose my own solutions, they are far less important than what I will say next.

Definitions are important.

Simple enough, huh? But think about it. Who are you? How would you describe yourself? What defines you? Or perhaps the better question is "Who defines you?" Who gets that power?

I would like to suggest that you have been carefully chosen to be where you are, right now. You have been deliberately selected to be you. Sure, today's media and arguably the majority of society would have you believe that this is all chance, that this life you are living is a set of amazing consequences that just happen to bring you to where you are today.

This is wrong.

He picked you. Long before you were born, He had a plan for you.

So, who better to define you and your place in this world than Him? Why do we listen to a society comprised of imprefect individuals? Why do we give them the power to determine something they had no part in creating? Why not recognize that there is no one better to surrender to than the Creator of the Universe? Who's the fairest of them all?



Mirror, Mirror on the wall,
Have I got it?
'Cause Mirror you've always told me who I am
I'm finding it's not easy to be perfect

So sorry you won't define me
Sorry you don't own me
Who are you to tell me
That I'm less than what I should be?
Who are you? Who are you?

I don't need to listen
To the list of things I should do
I won't try, I won't try

Mirror I am seeing a new reflection
I'm looking into the eyes of He who made me
And to Him I have beauty beyond compare
I know He defines me
You don't define me, you don't define me

--"Mirror" by Barlow Girl
Just something to think about.
Selah,
Nanette

6 Comments:

  • At January 17, 2006 2:10 AM, Blogger erinlizabeth said…

    saw those lyrics and got all excited that maybe it was on the CD i have...but it's not :(

    that's ok though.

    thanks sister, for everything.

    ;pbr upi@

     
  • At January 21, 2006 8:12 PM, Blogger dlaz said…

    good stuff to you too! Glad to hear the diss. is almost done. have fun with just a little more freedom! :)

     
  • At January 25, 2006 2:42 PM, Blogger erinlizabeth said…

    ,odd upi

     
  • At September 27, 2006 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm a french girl who went to US in july 06 and I was in an american family in denver, and in this one, they listenning Barlow girl, and I was very surprising when they told me you listen that in the church because in france it's not the same, I don't like church in France and US open my eyes in a new world... Now, mirror is the one I prefer !
    Sorry if my English is not perfect ...

     
  • At March 20, 2010 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey,

    I keep coming to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Plenty of useful information on nanettechristine.blogspot.com. I am sure due to busy scedules we really do not get time to care about our health. Are you really serious about your weight?. Research shows that nearly 50% of all USA adults are either fat or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Its true that we all can't be like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, and have sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

    About me: I am blogger of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.

     
  • At December 04, 2010 2:46 PM, Anonymous xnxx beastiality stories said…

    Since it was raining so hard hebrought along the plastic bag just in case. I laid out a really shortskirt, thigh high stockings, a nice short sweater, and a red pair ofheals.
    nifty hot stories
    wives true sex stories
    dog sex k9 cum stories free
    bestiality stories with pictures
    incest first sex stories
    Since it was raining so hard hebrought along the plastic bag just in case. I laid out a really shortskirt, thigh high stockings, a nice short sweater, and a red pair ofheals.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home