Just another perspective...

Monday, July 18, 2005

"home"

Ok, well I know my posting has been sporadic this summer, and I apologize for that. But my lack of entries is not due to a lack of interest in writing. In fact, I have continued to journal my thoughts and observations...I have just forgotten to post them all!

As I read back over the pages I've written, I am reminded of the emotions I was feeling at those times. I'll post one of them below. This was actually written on the plane on my way back to the US on June 7th. I know this entry is old and a little out-dated, I never want to forget that whole thought process...so here it is:


So this is it. I’m on my way home. It’s strange to think that it really is over. My year in England is done. Leaving this morning felt so surreal. I mean, while I knew in my head that I wasn’t coming back, it was like I thought I was just coming home to visit. What is “home” anyway? What constitutes home? At what point does a place/location become home? If home is where the heart is, then I’m not sure where I belong.

I read in Carly’s profile way back that: “Home is a feeling I buried in you.” I’d like to think that’s true. It’s really not any location that makes me feel at home. Hannah and Erin told me that they weren’t nervous about being homesick or even being in another country when they came to visit me. Hannah said: “This is your home…and I’m at home with you.” She probably doesn’t even recall saying it, but it stuck with me.

For me, I don’t think home is a place. I can be in my parent’s house, and depending on who is or isn’t there, it can (or can not) be home. Like Hannah said, I am at home, regardless of my location, when I am with the people I care very deeply about. I felt at home when my family came to visit…even though we were touring Europe. I felt at home backpacking through Europe with Hannah and Erin during Spring Break.

I know I am kind of rambling and saying the same thing in a lot of different ways, but I guess I just wanted to say that if home is where my heart is or if it’s a feeling that I have buried in my loved ones, then I think I can go all over the world and be “at home”. I’ve been blessed with a variety of friends and family that I can burry that feeling in—and I am truly thankful for that.


Selah,
Nanette

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home